Marathi Beach is situated in the Akrotiri area. It is about 17km away from Chania and 5km from the Souda port. At Marathi one can find two different sandy beaches right next to each other, both with crystal clear, shallow waters. Both beaches have south-eastern orientation which protects them from the north winds.
A small port separates the two beaches. Besides their natural beauty, they are both well organised, offering their guests all necessary comforts. Around 500m opposite from Marathi beach, there is a small island. The locals call it either “Marathi” or “Old Souda”. You can swim to this small island and relax under the shade of its pine trees. Families also enjoy commuting to the island via sea bikes. The western part of “Marathi” island is really nice and interesting if you enjoy diving or snorkeling.
If you feel hungry after swimming, you could relax at the beach taverns and enjoy Cretan specialties or have refreshments at the tables on the sand. Marathi is considered to be an ideal beach for families with children. We recommend it with no hesitation.
Families should know
- The beach is quite popular with both locals and tourists and it can get very crowded, especially over the weekends
- You cannot reach Marathi by public transportation. You need to get a taxi if you do not have your own car
Kids will love
- The fantastic sea at the two sandy beaches
- The ride with the sea bikes to Marathi island
Parents will love
- The small taverns on the beach overlooking Lefka Ori (White Mountains)
- A short walk at the “small palace of Minoas”
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!