The Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki is a city full of history. On a simple stroll around the city, you might come across a Byzantine church or a monument from the Turkish possession era. The Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki lets you uncover even more of the city’s most significant treasures.
The Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki is truly a masterpiece! Not only is it home to some of the most valuable findings within Thessaloniki and neighbouring cities, but it is also a must-visit resort for families and school groups. When you visit the museum, you and your family will feel like you are walking through the centuries.
The museum is divided into departments based on the chronology of the items inside. You’ll see artefacts dating back from Neolithic and Classical eras, up to Roman era. There is also a department that offers visitors the opportunity to take a “prehistoric” glimpse into the Macedonians’ cultural progress. Kids will discover the ways ancient people lived and worked, and see handmade ceramic, stone or metal tools and mosaics and murals portraying images of ancient peoples and culture.
A rich historical tour can be topped with a light brunch, lunch or dinner for you and your kids at the Terra Antique, a café and restaurant located right outside the museum. On sunny days, it’s a welcome pit stop before further exploration of the city. We heartily recommend the restaurant’s frappé coffee (for adults) and their tasty club sandwich (for both adults and children).
Families should know
- The museum’s staff recommends visits for families with children 8 years and older
- A museum tour will occupy just one morning or afternoon of your day so that you can plan other activities
- The museum is located in downtown Thessaloniki. Transportation is easy. The museum can be reached by bus, taxi, or on foot
- For prompt information about the timetable and tickets please follow this link: www.amth.gr
Kids will love
- Seeing objects ancient people once used
- Images of the past on mosaics
Parents will love
- Motivating their children to think beyond their modern lifestyles
- That the museum is located downtown and is easily accessible
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!