The Archaeological Site of Vergina
Welcome to Vergina, the royal capital of Macedonia. Every step you and your children take on these famous grounds might match the same steps that Alexander the Great or his father, Phillip II, took. Such a visit is truly once in a lifetime experience.
Vergina is located a few kilometres outside the city of Veria. The archaeological site of Vergina, or Aeges as it used to be called, consists of three equally interesting exhibits: the palaces, the ancient theatre area and the Royal Tombs. The Royal Tombs’ precious findings are exhibited in a museum which is built under an artificial hill to protect them and to introduce the tombs.
Some of the most remarkable excavated treasures of the Macedonian civilization can be found in the museum. Excellent examples are the legendary King Phillip II’s incinerated remains and his golden crown. The exhibits that are most memorable, however, are the two great tombs of King Phillip II and Alexander IV, father and son of Alexander the Great. These glorious monuments are waiting to amaze you!
The Museum of Vergina also offers educational programs that allow participants to learn about ancient Macedonia’s history and culture through workshop activities. At the end of the tour route, Manolis Andronikos, the tombs’ excavator, personally guides visitors around the monuments in a specially designed room.
Families should know
- Prior planning of this excursion is vital as the actual site can only be reached by car
- The site tour can last from 2 hours to an entire day. It is up to you how long you are willing to spend viewing the exhibits
- A trip to Vergina can be planned at any time during the year but the best time to visit is from May to September
- For prompt information about the timetable and tickets please follow this link: http://odysseus.culture.gr
Kids will love
- A fun trip dedicated to the legendary Alexander the Great
- Sightseeing majestic monuments
Parents will love
- Teaching their kids about an important episode of history
- The museum’s great organization and layout
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!