A rich and unique food! It includes delicious vegetables, juicy minced meat and béchamel sauce. A real culinary treat!
- Baking pan (27 cm diameter)
- sauce pan
For the minced meat
- 700 g ground beef (24.6 oz)
- 1 medium onion grated
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- 70 ml white wine (2.36 fl oz)
- 4 ripe tomatoes grated
- 1 carrot cut into cubes cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the béchamel
- 120 g butter (4.2 oz)
- 90 g flour (3.1 oz)
- 840 ml milk hot (28.4 fl oz)
- 50 g grated regato cheese (1.8 oz) or any hard cheese that melts
Making the sauce
- Prepare the vegetables by cutting the eggplants into rounds and the zucchini into diagonal slices. Salt them and leave them for an hour to drain off the liquid.
- To prepare the minced meat, heat the olive oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the minced meat, pressing it with a spoon to "break it up" and make it pithy. Stir it to evaporate all the liquid and to brown it, turning it a light color. Deglaze it with the white wine.
- Once evaporated, mix the fresh grated tomatoes with the tomato paste and pour the mixture into the pot. Add the carrot, salt and pepper, reduce the heat to medium and let it cook for 40-45 minutes. Add a little water if necessary, and if the minced meat is cooked but has a lot of liquid, turn up the heat and let it evaporate.
- Continue with the vegetables; place them on paper towels and dab them to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Place them on the baking tray on parchment paper, brush both sides with olive oil and place them in a preheated oven at 220*C in the air for 40 minutes, moving the trays (top to bottom) in between.
Making the bechamel sauce
- To make the béchamel, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.Once it is hot, add the flour, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes, until it darkens in color and cooks a little. Then I add the hot milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg, continuing to stir so that it joins the flour and the béchamel starts to thicken.
- When it thickens, remove from the heat and add the grated regatto and stir to melt.
Putting together moussaka
- To make the moussaka, in a 27 cm diameter baking pan, first lay the eggplant slices and then the zucchini.
- Top with a little grated regatto (20 g).
- Continue spreading the minced meat spoonful by spoonful and flatten the surface.
- Add some grated regatto (20 g).
- Add the béchamel spoonfuls: use a spoon to make levels and sprinkle with grated regatto (30 g).
- Place in a preheated oven at 220*C for about 40 minutes, until the surface is golden.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 20-30 minutes, so that the bechamel can “stand” and I can serve it.
- First, using a knife, peel the béchamel from the walls and then cut it into pieces.
- TIP: We can have the minced meat prepared another day so that the moussaka is quicker to make when we want to make it.
Best season to visit
Find out the where to go and what to do in Greece with the family. Book with us for amazing family memories.
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!