Chania Family Walking Tour
The Chania walking tour starts at the Dimotiki Agora (Municipal Market), which marks the border between the old and new town. The Agora is over 100 years old and hosts more than 70 shops selling mostly regional products. You’ll get to explore the market and sample local delicacies while learning about the deliciously healthy Cretan diet.
The next stop is the old town district. Wander through narrow laneways, hidden backstreets, and open doors to secret gardens, and Venetian and Ottoman monuments. Listen to stories of empires, sailors, traders, lovers, heroes, and artists. Learn how this city has been a crossroads between the East and West for centuries.
Next on your Chania family walking tour, you’ll have the unique opportunity to see local artisans crafting their products. Listen to their stories — and maybe even try your own skills!
A stroll through the Jewish and Ottoman neighborhoods follows, where you’ll learn how life has changed over the years in Chania.
Finally, we’ll walk along the waterfront of one of Chania’s historic neighborhoods and sit down to an inviting table with Cretan mezedes (local dishes).
A delicious Chania food tour is also available in small groups.
Families should know
- This is a gentle walking tour suitable for all levels of fitness and all ages
- You will be accompanied by an experienced, local guide
- During this family tour you will be given the opportunity to learn a little of Cretan history, culture and traditions
- Apart from a local English-speaking family friendly guide, sampling of local products is included in the price
- Exclusions: Additional food and drink, souvenirs and items of a personal nature, tips and gratuities for your guide
- This is a walking tour, so please wear comfortable walking shoes. During summer don’t forget your sunglasses and of course a photo camera!
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!