Foodies Feast of Heraklion
Join our Foodies Feast of Heraklion Family Food Tour and savour authentic Cretan dishes during a this family walking tour, which includes several culinary and delicious stops right in the heart of the local vibe.
We’ll start our gastronomical exploration by tasting the city’s famous bougatsa, a must-taste local delicacy for any visitor. Bougatsa is a pastry consisting of semolina custard or cheese between layers of phyllo. Best of all, you’re going to taste the best ones in town, as the owners of this spot have been mastering their bougatsa technique since 1922!
We’ll then visit a local market to chat with vendors and learn all about their products. You’ll get to sample traditional pies and pastries, loukoumades, kalitsounia, different kinds of honey, olives, rusks, Cretan cheeses — and we’ll even teach you to how to maximise your enjoyment and appreciation of cheese. You will also get to know the famous herbs straight from Cretan mountains into a cozy herb place and under the guidance of the lovely owner, Sakis.
After all these tastings, it’s time to visit a traditional tavern and savour some local dishes. If you’re brave enough for fried snails, you can sample a dish that’s loved by most locals! And of course you will accompany your meal with great local wine.
While in Heraklion besides the Foodies Feast of Heraklion Family Food Tour do not miss the opportunity to book a Private Family friendly Guided Tour to Knossos, an amazing experience for the whole family. Our application Kids Love Knossos is the ideal way to introduce your kids to the legends and myths of the great Minoan civilization.
Families should know
- The duration is 4 hours and the starting time is 10.00 am
- What is included: Local English-speaking guide, food and beverage samples as indicated in the itinerary (coffee, rusks, olives, cheese, pastries, traditional sweets, local wine/spirit tasting, meats). The inclusions are more than enough that you can skip lunch!
- What is excluded: Additional food and drinks, items of a personal nature
- Please wear comfortable shoes for walking
- During the summer months, don’t forget your sunglasses!
- This tour can be customized to cater for dietary needs at your request. Please notify us if you have any allergies or other dietary requests
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!