Learning more about the flavours of Athens will bring you closer to the city’s history and culture. Your kids will love the Greek specialties that ‘Athens Food Tour for families’ offers them. If they have a sweet tooth then even better … but please be a bit lenient with them – just for this tour as it will all be worth it.
Quick facts about Athens Food Tour for families
Your children will love with the mouth-watering sweet and syrupy ‘loukoumades’ and the traditional ‘bougatsa’. At the same time you will have the chance to taste the savoury ‘pastourma’, feta cheese and famous Greek olives. This tour is tailor made to fit your family culinary needs and, with the valuable assistance of the food specialist guide, takes you through a local, non-touristy part of Athens.
Duration: 3 hours and 15 minutes (including walking time of approx 45mins)
Athens Food Tour for families – step by step
The meeting point is at 09.15 in front of the ZARA department store outside the Panepistimio Metro station, in the ‘Korai’ pedestrian walkway.
Our first stop will be the food stalls located in the vicinity of the famous Acropolis. Together with the guide you will discover another side of Athens where a kaleidoscope of colours, smells, tastes and textures beckon you. You’ll see produce stalls bursting with colour, intoxicating spice shops, enticing sweet shops, and of course the bustling central food market of Athens.
You’ll sample the most traditional Greek food in a variety of specialty food shops, colorful and alluring delicatessens, aromatic and tempting bakeries and sweet shops, restaurants, dairies and spice shops. You won’t be able to get enough of it!
Next stop will be the vibrant central Varvakeios food market with its bustling energy and Greek bargaining ‘temperamento’ power. Fruits, spices, meat and fish all come under one roof to tempt you.
Discover small, hidden specialty food shops and taste the best specialty of the day. The guides personal connections do count here – and you will earn extra points for bringing your little fellows along!
After 3 hours full of colours, flavours and aromas the tour will come to an end close to Monastiraki Metro station, in the Psirri area to be specific.
A hidden gem of Athens Food Tour for families
Get ready to meet the vendors behind the stalls and learn more about their secrets. One thing for certain is that they will embrace your children. Greeks, apart from their love of food, also love children. It’s in their blood and part of their culture.
Want to join us on this culinary journey? Just click on the booking button below and we’ll say ‘bon appetite’ or ‘kali oreksi’ as we say in Greek!
Families should know
- The meeting point is exactly in front of the Zara department store in the ‘Korai’ pedestrian walkway. ZARA is close to the metro station which is located in the middle of the Korai pedestrian road across the road from the University of Athens.
- Should you take this tour during summer months, don’t forget to bring some sun lotion, hats, and comfortable walking shoes for all the family
- Make sure you have a light breakfast and bring a good appetite with you as you will be tasting some of the best specialties that Greek cuisine has to offer
Kids will love
- The loukoumades and bougatsa
- The friendliness of the street vendors
Parents will love
- The rich Mediterranean flavours
- The market vibe full of Mediterranean ‘temperamento’
Best season to visit
- 50€ adults
- 40€ teenager-student
- 25€ child (6-11 years old)
- Free infant (0-5 years old)
Share on Social Media