Cretan Canyons for Kids
This is the most exciting way for your children to discover the rare and wild beauty of the canyons of Crete – a truly unique and unforgettable experience.
Just a reminder however, this is not a family activity. Your kids will spend the day in the care of the well-trained, highly experienced staff of canyon.gr and learn independence and self-sufficiency as they embark on a once-in-a-lifetime adventure.
They’ll explore a totally new side of Crete that is far away from lazy beaches and hotel comforts. Climbing down the canyons is the best way for them to discover the rugged charm of the Cretan landscape. It’s also the best way for your children to discover their own skills and strengths, all in the spirit of teamwork and friendship.
The program, organized by canyon.gr, guarantees a fully trained and well-equipped staff in charge of the children. At the end of the hike the kids can enjoy a refreshing dip at a nearby beach or an ice-cold orangeade at a local old-time café.
By the end of the trip, any hint of exhaustion is replaced by enthusiasm as the kids share their experience with you – and there is no doubt the description will be full of superlatives!
For adventurous parents you won’t be disappointed as the company also offers adult group excursions where you can get a taste of the genuine Cretan wilderness.
If you would like more information about Canyon.gr please read our blog entry: E
There is a very amusing and informative video of Canyon.gr about Canyoing with Kids, which unfortunately is available only in Greek:
Despite any language barriers, the KidsLoveGreece.com team trust you will find it insightful!
Families should know
- The best time to explore the canyons is spring, when the running waters make the landscape even more beautiful
- Children aged 6 to 14 are welcome, and the program is particularly well suited for children aged 8 to 12
- A list of necessary items to bring with you will be supplied
- The organizers will arrange an interview – either by phone or in person – between yourself and the team leader before the trip takes place in order to sort out details. Remember to declare any medical issues or allergies your child may have in advance
- The team includes two emergency responders with excellent first aid skills
- Everyone on the team speaks English and some team members speak French
- The canyons considered appropriate for children – and recommended by our team – are all in the Prefecture of Heraklion
- Children are picked up from Heraklion and transported to the canyon in the team’s bus
- Unfortunately, the adult excursions do not include transportation to the canyon
- Rent high quality baby & toddler travel gear such as car seats, strollers, baby carriers, trikes, booster seats through our partner My Baby in Greece for stress-free & fun family activities in Greece