Are you ready to enjoy a Via Ferrata for Families in Crete? Join this unique family-friendly outdoor activity and get amazed of what you and your kids can achieve!
Via Ferrata is the name given to a protected mountain route that usually has a permanent steel cable attached. This means that previously difficult sections of climbing can be easily achieved even by beginners, as long as they have the guidance of a trained climbing expert. Our highly experienced local climbing guide will lead the way, showing you how the equipment works and where to go.
This magnificent Via Ferrata route is the only one in Crete, located in a remote location on Asterousia Mountains (south Crete). It crosses the first part of a gorge, traverses the south face of Mountain Kofinas offering amazing views to Crete’s south coast and Mediterranean Sea. Some families take a Go-Pro and film their adventures, so they can show friends and family just how brave they were!
The climb lasts about 2 hours, but the going is easy. During this Via Ferrata for Families, the kids are sure to love the thrill and excitement, and it is a great introduction to climbing.
After the Via Ferrata you will head towards the isolated coastal village of Ai Giannis where you could enjoy a refreshing swim and relax at a beautiful beach.
We invite you to participate in this fascinating Via Ferrata for Families in Crete which builds group spirit and self-confidence.
Notes: The route may change depending on weather conditions, trail condition etc. All necessary safety equipment is provided. It is advised that participants bring along a daypack (approx.15-35l), good footwear (trekking shoes or sport), water bottle, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, swimming suit and towel.
If you would like to find out more about other family outdoor activities in Crete, we are more than pleased to help. You can take a look at a range of family-friendly activities in Crete here, or contact us via the online form.
Families should know
- A fun, adventurous outdoor activity
- Participants need to be in good shape with a little of experience in climbing
- Not suitable for very young children
- Not suggested for people who are afraid of heights or suffer from vertigo
- Gull guidance and instruction given
- Total estimating time for the Via Ferrata is 3 hours
- Grade: Moderate (This activity is suitable for anyone in good health and normal fitness)
Kids will love
- Taking what may be their first Via Ferrata route
- The excitement and challenge
- Swimming at a beautiful beach on South Crete
Parents will love
- A physical activity that gets the entire family involved
- The views from the top!
- Building up kids’ self-confidence
Best season to visit
Share on Social Media