Shore Excursions for Families on Cruises by Kids Love Greece
- What is included
- Why book with us
Cruising around the Greek islands is a unique experience and an ideal way for your family to get to know Greece. It gives you an opportunity to see more than one destination, which isn’t limited only to the Greek archipelago but can also include visits to significant monuments and landmarks on the mainland.
The Kids Love Greece shore excursions are created to provide exceptional travel experiences to cruise passengers in the ports they visit around Greece. To accomplish this, we have compiled several unique private family tours delivered by local experts. Our tours allow you to travel with your family alone and, to fully customize your tour. You will get to see the highlights of the most important monuments and places in Greece with unique insights provided by our expert tour guides.
Destinations covered are Athens, Katakolon (Olympia), Santorini, Mykonos, Heraklion and Chania (Crete), Corfu as well as Kefalonia.
- Private family expert English-speaking guide
- Private transfer from and to the port
- We are extremely focused on delivering excellent personal experiences. In contrast to group shore tours, our private tours offer a far more personalized and enjoyable experience
- We will make sure that you will be picked up and return on time to the ship by a private transfer service
- We will provide you with detailed information on how to easily find our local representative including where they will be standing, what sign they will be holding, their local telephone numbers and more
Shore Excursions Ports
- Piraeus | Athens
- Crete | Chania
- Crete | Heraklion
- Katakolon | Olympia
When your cruise ship docks at the port of Piraeus, the sightseeing has just begun. A private driver will be waiting for you in the port to transfer you to your meeting point with your guide. Together with your state-licensed official family expert guide, you will experience Ancient Greece through its most important monuments.
- The Acropolis and the world-renowned Acropolis Museum are a must-see in Athens. We recommend you book our Classic Acropolis Tour to make sure that you did not miss anything from your cruise to Greece!
- In the Acropolis, you will be using an iPad, preloaded with an extra augmented reality program. This new ‘touring’ tool will help you visualize how the Acropolis looked in Ancient times. You will be able to see a full 3D colored reconstruction of the 5th century BC statues, buildings, and ancient objects overlaid on the screen as you move around in real-time. It is a truly incredible experience!
- If your kids like the books of Percy Jackson, we recommend our Percy Jackson Acropolis experience.
- You can combine your visit to the Acropolis, with a visit to the Acropolis Museum or the Ancient Agora. Whatever itinerary you decide to create, your family guide will make sure that the kids are fully engaged by telling them fascinating stories about life in Ancient Greece and mythology.
- Another exciting family tour under the Acropolis, is the Kids Love Greece Mythology Food Tour, a walking food tour through Plaka that is great for young kids.
- Also, we highly recommend our Minivan Tour for Families which will allow you to explore the capital of Greece with your family, learn important information about Athens landmarks and play fun games.
- We will make sure that you will be back in the port on time for the embarkation.
Contact our team for all the possibilities and tour options because we have plenty of suggestions for your shore excursion in Athens. Share your exact itinerary, so we can fully customize your day because all our tours are tailor-made.
Contact the Kids Love Greece team and let’s find the perfect shore excursion in Athens for your family!
As the ship slowly enters the caldera of Santorini, you’ll experience one of the most impressive sights of your life – steep volcanic rocks, villages so high they almost pierce the clouds, whitewashed houses, and churches built on the cliffs. Your cruise ship will stop close to the harbor.
You’ll disembark at sea and a tender will take you to the shore below the town of Fira. After, you will take the cable car up to Fira and enjoy the breathtaking view. In Fira, you will meet your guide and drivers the shore excursion can begin!
As the embarkation and cable car ride may take some time, a visit to Santorini has limited time. We, therefore, recommend creating your own personalized itinerary with our Santorini Tailor Made Exploring. That way, you will be able to see the most important highlights and hotspots according to your family’s preferences and the ages of your kids. Just select from any of the following family-friendly activities and customize your own Family Adventure in Santorini!
- Explore the village of Oia and its incredible spots for photographs
- Discover the Archaeological Site of Akrotiri
- Visit a pottery workshop where the kids can create their own pots
- Kids can enjoy a donkey ride at the traditional settlement of Pyrgos while you are wandering around one of the most beautiful medieval settlements on the island
- Stop at a local farm where you can see and taste the traditional products of Santorini
- Visit Venetsanos winery. It is the first industrial winery on the island in a breathtaking location with incredible vistas over the caldera. Discover the history and tradition of Santorini winemaking and taste local wines (and juices for the kids) and dishes
- Visit the Music Man and the museum with musical instruments while learning more about the myths and music of the Ancient Greeks in Megalochori
Another amazing choice for families is the Family Sailing day or Sunset Tour, in which you will enjoy the breathtaking volcanic rocks of the world-famous caldera, and the most beautiful places on the island from the front row! Due to limited time, you will be able to do this tour only on a private basis.
We know it is hard to choose so do let us know if you need any help in customizing your Santorini shore excursion, we are here to help!
Contact the Kids Love Greece team and let’s find the perfect shore excursion in Santorini for your family!
Cosmopolitan Mykonos is an ideal destination for shore excursions in Greece. Take a family stroll through Mykonos with its labyrinthine cobblestone streets, windmills, famous Little Venice, old churches, and traditional houses, and greet the much-photographed pelican, who has become quite the celebrity in his own right!
- During our Explore Mykonos Town with your Family Walking Tour, you will have a chance to visit all the highlights of this Cycladic gem with a local expert guide. You will visit the famous Windmills, Little Venice, the open-air cinema, a 19th-century Mykonian residence, the Three Wells, a 300-year-old bakery, the famous Panagia Paraportiani church (only from the outside), and many little family chapels.
- The Mykonos Town Walking Tour can be combined with a Mosaic Workshop or tailor-made Taste Mykonos Food Tour.
- Delos is a must-visit in Mykonos, provided that you have enough time. During the Ancient Delos Private Family Tour, you will be accompanied by a family-friendly guide and under his guidance, you will be able to explore this UNESCO World Heritage site, first inhabited over 5000 years ago. The island of Delos is about 30 minutes away from Mykonos by boat. Besides walking around the site itself, this Ancient Delos Private Family Tour also includes a visit to the Museum.
- For a unique experience of Mykonos and Delos, we recommend you book a Sailing trip in Mykonos. Transfers from the cruise to the sailing port are included in this trip. A sailing boat with a captain will take you around Mykonos and its most important hotspots at sea. Included in our itinerary suggestions is a visit to the sacred island of Delos.
Contact the Kids Love Greece team and let’s find the perfect shore excursion in Mykonos for your family!
Cruising in Greece doesn’t have to focus solely on history and ancient sites. We also offer amazing family-friendly programs and workshops related to nature and culture.
- In Chania, Kids Love Greece created a unique experience for families to explore the most picturesque areas of the province of Chania by visiting the 7 villages of Apokoronas at the foot of the White Mountain. This experience will introduce you to the unique traditions of Crete and acquaint you with the natural beauties of the island.
- If you are an active family you will be happy knowing that create offers you chances to explore gorges and other vast landscapes that are perfect for an adventure.
- Families can opt for a guided tour through the famous picturesque Old Town of Chania with a local insider. Our Family Chania Walking Tour includes the most important monuments in the city and could also include several food-stops.
- If you prefer to relax and spend your time on picturesque and unique sandy beaches, we can arrange that too! Elafonnisi and Falasarna are two of the best family beaches in eastern Crete that will impress you.
- Visitors to Crete will often like to include a visit to the world-famous Palace of Knossos in Heraklion. From Chania, families can visit this Minoan highlight during a Guided Tour at the Palace of Knossos together with a state-licensed expert guide. The drive from Chania to the Palace of Knossos takes about two hours (one way). You can also include a visit to the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion on this trip. Due to the distance, there will be a lunch stop on the way.
Whatever you decide to do in Chania, we will arrange your private transfer from the port to your excursion. Just sit back and enjoy the island!
Contact the Kids Love Greece team and let’s find the perfect shore excursion in Chania for your family!
Heraklion is a multifaceted seaside city with a beautiful Venetian harbor and the Koules fortress gazing proudly out to sea. A modern urban capital, with ancient old culture, lovely walkways lined with Venetian buildings, and traditional shops. To make the most out of your shore excursion in Heraklion, we recommend several tour combinations.
- A visit to the Palace of Knossos must be included in your itinerary! Admire the legendary Minoan Palace, connected with the story of Daedalus and Icarus, the labyrinth, where the fearsome Minotaur used to live, and the love story of Theseus and Ariadne. Your state-licensed tour guide will tell you all the secrets and myths related to the site.
- For a full experience of the Palace of Knossos, we recommend you combine it with a tour of the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion. Here you will discover all the findings of the site as well as other excavations in Crete.
- If you have a Percy Jackson fan, we highly recommend the Percy Jackson Tour of the Palace of Knossos and the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion.
- If you want to visit Heraklion as well but you are not in the mood for the museum, why not take a city stroll around the town? During our Heraklion City Tour, you get to visit all the important monuments and sights and learn more about this great city’s history.
- For families with young kids, we recommend combining the Palace of Knossos visit with a pottery workshop.
- If have you already visited the Palace of Knossos before, then you could consider joining a Food Tour in Heraklion. While listening to stories about Crete, you will also get to enjoy food and beverage samples such as rusks, olives and cheese, Greek coffee, and traditional meze.
Contact the Kids Love Greece team and let’s find the perfect shore excursion in Heraklion for your family!
The pretty Greek port of Katakolon is a popular destination for cruise ships and tourists because it also happens to be a 40-minute drive from Olympia, the birthplace of the Olympic Games. And although you can explore alone, an expert family guide will help make sense of the ruined temples, gymnasium, and running track where Greek and Roman athletes vied for glory in ancient times.
- Join our Private Tour in Ancient Olympia, and discover the land where the Olympic torch is lit with one of our expert certified tourist guides. This beautiful archaeological park with the museum is sure to reward you!
- You can combine the visit to Olympia with a Family Olive Oil Workshop, Honey Tasting, and a mini cooking class. Here you can enjoy the famous Greek olives and blends of olive oil, the essence of the Mediterranean Diet, that is cultivated in the region for over a millennium. Finally, you will have the chance to participate in making Greek diples, and taste different honey samples.
The itinerary is private and can be fully customized. we can also incorporate a visit to a local beach, before returning to the cruise ship.
Contact the Kids Love Greece team and let’s find the perfect shore excursion in Katakolon for your family!
In aristocratic Corfu, you’ll find palaces, majestic fortresses, and romantic alleyways introducing you to the island’s rich, royal history. The sights are magnificent and your family will admire the iconic palaces of the city, the Liston Arcade, and Spianada – the largest square in the Balkans. Corfu is a mix of many cultures and this is not only reflected in its monuments but also in its gastronomy.
- If you want to see the most important places in Corfu, we recommend our Corfu Tour shore excursion. You will also get to walk through the UNESCO-protected old town of Corfu and visit the two impressive town fortresses. Together with a licensed tour guide and by private vehicle, you will visit the famous Imperial Palace of Achilleion*, the retreat of Empress Elisabeth of Austria (aka princess Sissi), the neighborhood of Kanoni, the tiny monastery of Virgin Mary (Panagia) of Vlachernon (Vlacherna) and the iconic islet of Mouse Island (aka Pontikonisi).
- Families who want to get the best of Corfu while walking should join our Kids Love Greece Taste Corfu food tour. Strolling around the pretty town of Corfu with the family, you will get to see the town’s hidden attractions and gastronomical gems while listening to stories about local traditions and food culture. This food tour includes the finest Greek pastries, such as cheese pies, sweet loukoumades, Gingerbeer, Corfu’s signature spirit, the internationally-acclaimed Kumquat liqueur, and an array of local cheeses and cold cuts. The tour concludes with a meal in a traditional local tavern.
*Update December 2022: The Palace of Achilleion is closed due to renovations until further notice.
Contact the Kids Love Greece team and let’s find the perfect shore excursion in Corfu for your family!
At Kids Love Greece, we recommend two different itineraries, which we think are suitable for families given the large size of the island.
- Get ready to explore the north side of Kefalonia, a beautiful and unique island where you and your family can experience the diverse dramatic landscape. The island has a lot of history and mythology to offer, which will be revealed to you.
- Visit and pass by small traditional villages like the colorful historical village of Fiskardo, the only place spared from the great earthquake of the 1950s. Various exceptional beaches such as Myrtos and Assos also invite you to take pictures and swim. During this shore excursion, you will see the extraordinary, unique and vast nature and swim on the paradisiacal beaches of the Ionian Sea.
- Visit the beautiful beach of Antisamos, which is full of life. You can swim in its clear blue waters, do water sports and drink beverages and drinks at a beach bar.
- Explore the Drogarati Caves, which were formatted thousands of years ago and have stalagmites and stalactites showing a spectacular natural landscape.
- Discover Lake Melissani, an underground lake that has a grand opening directly above the water. The sunlight that falls directly into the water forms unique shades of blue.
- Take fantastic photos at Myrtos beach or have a quick swim.
Contact the Kids Love Greece team and let’s find the perfect shore excursion in Kefalonia for your family!
No matter where your Greek family cruise adventure takes you, there’s always a Kids Love Greece shore excursion to choose from. Contact our team today and explore all the options for your personalized family adventure in Greece.
We will help you to recommend and book shore excursions for any interest, kid’s age group, and destination on your cruise in Greece.
Best season to visit